Seymour Church gives glory to God by following the Father’s call to become mature through Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit. The Council exists to advance this purpose of Seymour Church by exercising leadership over the staff, ministries, and mission of the congregation.
Elders, deacons, and full-time pastors are members of Council. Elders and deacons will be selected through the approved nomination process and serve a three-year term.
- An administrative elder will be selected as the chairperson of the Council and serve for a one-year renewable term. The chairperson of the Council will also serve as the chairperson of the Elder Board.
- An administrative elder will be selected as the clerk of Council and serve for a one-year renewable term. The clerk of Council will also serve as the clerk of the Elder Board and the clerk of the Administrative Board.
- An administrative elder will be selected as the vicar of Council and serve for a one-year renewable term. The vicar of Council will also serve as the vicar of the Elder Board and the vicar of the Administrative Board.
- The Senior Pastor will serve as the pastoral advisor to the Council.
The Council will ordinarily meet on the second Monday in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December. The meetings will begin at 7 PM.
The Council is directly accountable to the Lord of the Church and through denominational covenant to Classis Grand Rapids East and the Synod of the Christian Reformed Church.
The responsibilities of the Council include the following:
- Pray for the staff, ministries and purpose of Seymour Church.
- Conduct its work according to the Church Order of the Christian Reformed Church.
- Exercise servant authority over the work of the four Council Boards and the Ministry Staff:
- The Elder Board
- The Deacon Board
- The Shepherd Board
- The Administrative Board
- The Ministry Staff
- Approve nominations for elder and deacon.
- Set the agenda and schedule for Congregational Meetings
- Issue calls to pastoral staff.
- Exercise mutual censure.
- Attend to the training and spiritual formation of the elders and deacons.
- Meet with Church Visitors of Classis Grand Rapids East.
- Approve the annual budget as processed through the Administrative Board.
- Discuss, deliberate, and discern concerns such as the health of the congregation, and the mission, vision, & strategic ministry plan for Seymour Church.